20130406

stars

from the comfort of the earth
the brightest star in the sky
just a speck of light
easily ignored

but on its surface
i am running
surrounding me bursts of majestic white flames
my bare feet skim across its molten skin

in conceivable view are thousands of miles of white fire
and beyond that a million more
but i am running
with no destination in my mind's eye

from the corner of my eye
the flickering of bursting gas
releasing a ball of hydrogen inferno
a bubble to be exact

but i run
my feet like the beats of a techno track
like the pulse of the living
a monotonous repetition of left, right, left
one foot touches the coal as the other levitates
then the other foot touches the floor and the first rises
gliding through the air like a swallow's heart

my arms share a similar pattern
i am like a marathon runner, only more dislocated
my face is stern with the hardened look
of a man having absolutely no place to be

i am distinctly humbled
even the searing heat can not phase me
for my soul has elevated
to where no physical harm may affect me

but as is the case with all humankind
the mortal part of me conceives a tree in the distance
a little goal for me to reach
a mini aim for my seemingly pointless journey
through a  place i should not be

this tree, it appears near one instant
then further away the next
and it holds the secrets of life
this tree, it is like me
a creature
living and thriving where it should not
its roots firmly planted in lava

this tree, it is only unique in the fact that it is not
but i know that i must reach it
to drink from its wood
to quench my thirst with its sweet sap

there is one catch though
while i am in fact on the star,
there is no tree
it is merely a relief for my nagging conscience
a balm

i will never actually reach the tree
i will not recline on its cool branches
for it is simply not there
but in order to satisfy the yearning that my heart has
i will search for it
with the hope,
or perhaps something more complex than hope,
the sheer confidence,
that i will find it.

No comments :

Post a Comment